Last Update: September 2023
Our OT Local has a president, executive members, committees, and professional learning opportunities to meet the needs of the membership. Members have the right to vote and hold office in our local and in ETFO.
Together, we monitor and enforce our collective agreement – a contract between the BWDSB and our union that outlines many of the terms and conditions of employment for Bluewater Occasional Teachers that were reached through collective bargaining.
Our Local Constitution contains the fundamental principles by which the Bluewater Occasional Teachers’ Local is governed, as determined by the Bluewater Occasional Teachers' Annual General Meeting held between April 1st and May 31st of each year.
At the Local Annual General Meeting, the membership elects Local Executive Members and alternatives to the ETFO Annual Meeting. These individuals work to implement the objectives of the Bluewater Occasional Teacher Local on behalf of all its members:
- to represent all members of the Bluewater Occasional Teachers’ Local in a fair and equitable manner;
- to secure, through collective bargaining, the best possible terms and conditions of employment;
- to advance the cause of education and the status of occasional teachers in the Local;
- to promote a high standard of professional ethics and a high standard of professional competence;
- to foster a climate of social justice and continue a leadership role in such areas as anti-poverty, non-violence, and equity;
- to promote and protect the interests of all members of the Local and the students in their care;
- to co-operate with other organizations having the same or like objectives;
- to work in collaboration with the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario and the Bluewater Teachers’ Local;
- to promote and uphold the ETFO Human Rights Code.
The Local Executive represents the needs, issues, and interests of Bluewater Occasional Teacher Members. All Executive Members attend executive meetings and carry out their various duties as presented in reports at our Local Annual General Meeting.
Consider a position on the Executive! You will be notified of nominations at least 30 days prior to the Local AGM by your non-board home email.